Sunday, May 11, 2014

Caracal: Size Matters (Part 1)


You guys watched the module and ship rebalance panel? Rise and Fozzy talked about the rapid light missile launcher and that it became very popular after the last rebalance pass. So here I go now and want to use them, too. Best ship for that in my opinion: The caracal.

Talking about CCP Rise, known as Kil2 before he joined CCP: He used a HAM Caracal fit which is probably more efficent at killing targets of the same size. This is why, eventhough I reached my goal by getting a kill in this ship I want to give the caracal another try with heavy assault missiles.

The Fitting


I have flown a lot of active armor tanks, so it was time for some shield tanking. Again: Active tank.


This should work against any frigate or destroyer that you can engage. How it works against cruisers: You will see.

 The Kill

I tried a new route roaming through the northern region. The western parts of Vale are rented out, so they might attrackt some people roaming through it. I hoped for a small frigate gang, but found a single frigate. By playing dumb and not locking him, but slowboating back to the gate he probably thought of me as an easy target. On the other side of the gate he engaged, so I shot back. Those RLML just slaughter frigates:


I wasn't happy, though. I wanted to test this ship.

The Death


Next stop: Geminate.There was another guy from my Corp out for some solo action which made at least one guy not engage with "I know you have backup" in local. So I kept on warping around in MR4-MY, as its a system is on a triangle between the space of 3 enteties and it has an NPC nullsec station next door. A few minutes later there was a Thorax (one with those special painting) on a gate. Warping to 50km is a good way to lure the other person away from the gate. He hugged the gate, so I started applying DPS from far away and tried to lure him off. When my ship came closer to the gate it suddenly fired and two new ships entered systems. I alligned out and hit my MWD to get some range and asses the situation further. A Stabber Fleet Issue decloaked close to me and directly went for me: I should have warped out when I could, cause he pointed me, I died:

So what was the lesson here: RLML are really bad against any ship bigger then a destroyer. With a Heavy Assault missiles I could have killed the frigate and might have been able to take one of the other ships down. So as the title says: Size matters ... even if its just the weapon system.

More Videos


I finally took the time and started using Lightworks for cutting my videos. I needet some time to wrap my head around it, but I hope I can improve the quality of the videos with it. You will need to wait a bit longer for the caracal video though.

The chart and why this isn't the end of the caracal


The Caracal is a nice ship: Its cheap, it has a good selection of dps types, its fast enough for most jobs. I will definitly go out with it again and shoot stuff and I will do a part 2. Here is the challenge chart:


No comments:

Post a Comment